You can still be constipated when you’re plant based. Yup! So, if you’ve been reading my blog and seeing that when I turned to a plant based diet my constipation got 10 times better, it’s true. But it’s not a bulletproof solution so here are a few other tips and tricks to alleviate constipation, especially for those just starting out on a plant-based diet.
- Ease into a higher fiber foods slowly (too much fiber can cause constipation)
- Make sure you’re staying well hydrated (your urine should resemble more the color of lemonade than iced tea)
- Move your body, move your gut (in other words, exercise!)
- Include a variety of fats, which play a role in stimulating motility
- Take a closer look at your medications
- Notice if there’s a pattern to your constipation, especially if you have a menstrual cycle
- Incorporate probiotic foods like kimchi or sauerkraut
- Try elevating your feet with something like a squatty potty (pictured here)
Also check out my post on natural constipation remedies to see what things you might be able to incorporate into your diet more and get those bowels moving!
Eating more plants can come with its challenges. There’s a lot of nutrition noise out there, everyone has an opinion, and it can be confusing to figure out what works best for YOU. Working through these challenges and learning how to easily incorporate more plant-based foods into your diet and lifestyle can be helpful. Working with a plant-based dietitian to guide you through your unique journey and surrounding yourself with other like-minded people who are on a similar journey can be monumental. When you join my nutrition coaching program, you’ll get a highly customized, one-on-one experience to help you confidently and sustainably eat foods that taste good and make you feel good. Click the button below to learn more about my approach and see what other clients have to say.