Watch the video on my instagram for how I make this tempeh bacon without measuring anything (instructions are also written out below). It is so simple and is done in less than an hour, start to finish. Leave those measuring utensils in the drawer! Also learn my favorite way to open one of those stubborn tempeh packages.
This is one of my go-to tempeh recipes. Pair it with:
- Roasted veggies
- Tempeh (2 packages)
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Worcestershire sauce (ensure vegan + GF)
- Liquid Smoke
- Maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F)
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add the tempeh (cut the pack into half) and boil for 8-12 minutes.
- While tempeh boils, prepare the “marinade”. In a baking dish, pour the tamari in to just cover the bottom of it.
- Add about the same amount of balsamic vinegar to the pan. Drizzle a bit of Worcestershire sauce, a dab of liquid smoke and about a tbsp or two of maple syrup and mix it up using a little fork or shake the pan a little (careful not to spill!)
- When tempeh is done, cut it into about ½” strips and lay in the pan. The liquid should come up about halfway the thickness of the tempeh. After you lay it all down, flip each strip over.
- Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 15 minutes. Ta-da!
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Only after healing myself of lifelong chronic constipation through healthful, plant-based eating did I arrive at my life’s work as a dietitian. Now, I find an immense amount of joy in helping others simply and sustainably eat foods that taste good and make them feel even better. To learn more about my approach to nutrition, click the button below.