As you know talking about constipation and poop is kinda my jam. So, I wanted to share my favorite foods that can help alleviate constipation. They are great for plant or non-plant based humans.
My Go-To Constipation Remedies:
- Water: fluids help soften stool! The more hydrated you are, the easier your undigested material can travel through your GI tract
- Coffee: coffee has caffeine which is a stimulant and this can stimulate those muscule contractions in the walls of your bowels.
- Tempeh or Kimchi: Fermented foods have probiotics which promote good gut health. Good gut health = good poops.
- Prune Juice: combo of fiber + water is the perfect constipation remedy. It also contains sorbitol, which is a natural laxative.
- Pears and Plums: rich in fiber and pectin which regulate bowel movements
- Chia Seeds: Chia seeds expand with water so putting them in your Gi tract can help bulk up your stools
- Almonds and Walnuts: High magnesium in nuts helps neutralize the stomach acid and move stool through your intestines
- Raisins: dried fruit is a good source of fiber and sorbitol (laxative)
Have you ever tried these out when you’re struggling to poop?
Eating more plants can come with its challenges. There’s a lot of nutrition noise out there, everyone has an opinion, and it can be confusing to figure out what works best for YOU. Working through these challenges and learning how to easily incorporate more plant-based foods into your diet and lifestyle can be helpful. Working with a plant-based dietitian to guide you through your unique journey and surrounding yourself with other like-minded people who are on a similar journey can be monumental. When you join my nutrition coaching program, you’ll get a highly customized, one-on-one experience to help you confidently and sustainably eat foods that taste good and make you feel good. Click the button below to learn more about my approach and see what other clients have to say.