When it comes to mornings, sometimes it’s all we can do just to get up and get out the door in time. Forget eating breakfast those days! But we set ourselves up for a pretty crappy day if we skip our morning fuel. That’s why it can be helpful to have a quick and easy dish to grab out of the fridge and pop in the microwave. This recipe for steel cut oats can be done in the instant pot in a matter of minutes and it is extremely customizable! You can put different fruits and toppings on it each day so it doesn’t feel like the same thing over and over again.
- 1 1/2 cups steel cut oats (GF as needed)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups frozen berries
- Seeds (e.g. hemp seeds, chia seeds, pepitas)
- Liquid sweetener (optional)
- Nuts for topping (optional)
- Plant milk to thin when heating up each morning (optional)
- Fresh fruit to add daily (optional)
- Add steel cut oats, ground cinnamon, and water to Instant Pot and stir to combine.
- Place lid on securely with quick release valve closed and manually set Instant Pot to 6 minutes.
- Once cooking is complete, let pressure come down naturally (about 15-20 minutes).
- Use quick release valve to release any remaining pressure, then carefully remove lid.
- Mix in frozen berries, your favorite seeds, and liquid sweetener as desired. Stir well to combine.
- Portion out into 5 meal prep containers and store in fridge for up to 5 days.
Note: Each morning, I reheat a portion with plant milk and add a sliced banana and anything else that sounds good (nuts, seeds, dried fruit, etc)
I hope you enjoy this recipe. Only after healing myself of lifelong chronic constipation through healthful, plant-based eating did I arrive at my life’s work as a dietitian. Now, I find an immense amount of joy in helping others simply and sustainably eat foods that taste good and make them feel even better. To learn more about my approach to nutrition, click the button below.